Maybe you don’t know, but the garage door plays a vital role in the security of your house. Even if you probably don’t think about it. A garage door that does not work can be a serious problem if your car is stuck inside the garage, or if you cannot access it, and must leave it on the street overnight. We list below 5 simple steps to follow if you want to fix your garage door.
Even if you try to do it yourself, do not hesitate to contact a specialized garage door company to quickly, and easily repair your garage door system. Trying to fix the stressed garage door yourself can be very dangerous.
Why doesn’t my garage door work?
Here are some common problems with garage doors (and their repairs).
- The garage door does not open – Your garage controller may need new batteries, or it may need to be reprogrammed. If none of this has worked, you may need a new garage controller compatible with yours. If the door is stuck but open, verify that the photoelectric sensor near the base is aligned and unobstructed.
- The garage door gets stuck – Rails, rollers or hardware may be dirty. Clean everything with a little household cleaner and then re-lubricate the moving parts with a lubricant recommended by a garage door company. The rails can have small dents or flat points that can be hit.
- The garage door sinks on one side –If it is a multi-sectional door, it may be necessary to tighten the hinges on the sinking side. It is also possible that the rails on each side are misaligned – use a level to verify.
- The garage door does not close completely – Something may be obstructing the photoelectric sensors or they may not be pointing directly at each other. If they are fine, you can increase the closing pressure or adjust the limits, but again, do it in small increments.
- Broken springs or broken engine – These are the most serious repairs to garage doors. If you have a broken spring or need to repair your garage door engine, you should contact a specialized garage door company. It is always recommended to replace the springs in pairs, to ensure a balanced operation.
Conclusion: important aspects to remember
Regular maintenance of your garage door system can help prevent some of these repairs. The garage malfunction is probably one of the frustrations experienced by the homeowner. When the door creaks, gets stuck or worse, it just doesn’t move, don’t get frustrated so easily because the repair tricks are not that difficult. You can probably do your first step by reviewing the clues that were mentioned a while ago. It is important to know when it is better to call a professional service provider. If your garage door is of the type that is wound with a tension spring, then it is better not to attempt a repair. There is a great possibility that you get hurt with this type of springs.